Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: "Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!"
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!"


Charles Dickens sounds very competitive with that statement.  To me it means, not only be competitive, but the ends justify the means. I can think of a few professional sports such as NASCAR where that might hold true.   Professional baseball, football, cycling, and track and field come to mind as far as the ingestion of illegal substances.

Prior to drug testing in baseball, I remember the Congressional hearings, where such baseball sluggers as Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Sammy Sosa and others had difficulty acknowledging their drug use.  Currently, Roger Clemens is not out of the woods yet, as far as his trial goes. It baffles me that some of these baseball players did not admit taking drugs or steroids during a time in which there was no ban.  Wanting to speed up an injury process or take a supplement that might improve your strength, does not seem so odd with the outrageous and outlandish salaries these players were receiving.

Let us face it, professional sports have become entertainment.  Do not forget, that it is called professional, and that these athletes are paid.  They are paid to perform and to entertain.  When you think of the owners it is no wonder that they didn’t take a hard and close look to what their players were doing.  Remember in capitalism, the goal is profit and only profit.  With records being broken, stadiums being filled, and enormous television contracts galore, the players dovetailed nicely in our adoring star, starving culture.  Everyone was happy.


Now it seems that there are some “holier than thou” that want to make a big deal out of this issue.  I do not have a problem with making a rule, and then enforcing it.  He that breaks the rule must deal with the consequences.  So players like Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, etc. are usually punished for “lying” during their trials.

On one hand our culture gives the impression of “fair play” or play by the rules yet time in and time out, players, management, insider trading, and business fraud seems commonplace.  I know when I read the Wall Street Journal; it is not unusual to read about indictments and charges pertaining to the business world.

Thank goodness for amateur sports, which seems more pure?  Take away the money, television contracts, commercial endorsements, and you have different motives to play the game.  I do not run, because I have to.  I do not run to put food on the table.  I do not run because of concern about my contract.  I do not run because of an endorsement.

My motives for running are related to who I am health and fitness, and affiliation.  These motives are simpler in my opinion, and better for me.  So today, Linda on Nails and I hit the trail for about 8 to 10 miles. We are so lucky and so fortunate to be able to do what we do.

On Monday’s blog, I want to make a correction.  Jonathan and I did not physically run through and mess up a sand trap.  We made sure we did not leave footprints in the Sand trap.   I do not want to offend any golfers.



0 comments:

Post a Comment