Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Enriching Your Life With Friendship
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Enriching Your Life With Friendship





Just today, I received a very complementary e-mail from Penny the sister of Tony a.k.a. Secretariat.  She mentioned that he was her role model and when things are going difficult in her life, she tells others about Tony and Debbie’s relationship since it helps her as well.  She added that he takes after their mother with his wonderful personality and laugh.
I first met Secretariat back in 1997 in San Jose, California at Mt. Hamilton.  I entered  the Mustang classic’s limited distance endurance ride and was parked next to Tony and Jeff Windenhausen who were partners in the ride and tie event  put on by Dan Barger.  Both men were very friendly, and that began my friendship, as well as my introduction into the world of ride and tie, endurance, and ultra running.  Back then, I was living in the Bay Area and had a full-time psychotherapy practice.
I moved to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada’s in December of 1999.  Once there, I became interested in riding the Tevis.   Luckily for me, both Secretariat and Tom Christofk, experienced ride and tie and Tevis competitors introduced me to most of that trail.  Not only had that, but Secretariat’s wife Debbie provided me with detailed instructions about logistics and items for crewing for that most difficult ride.
In 2000 when I rode the Tevis, I was met by both Debbie and Secretariat at Forest Hill, who assisted with the crewing.  Upon reaching the finish at the fairgrounds in Auburn, I was met by Secretariat who assisted me and my horse Raider. In 2002, when I ran the Western States 100, I was met by both Debbie and Secretariat at Robie Point near the finish.  I am fortunate that Secretariat and Debbie have been there at these important times in my life.   
I am also privileged to know a person like Secretariat.  He has been helpful in so many ways and I am honored to be his friend, and running partner. It has been great to be able to share my ideas with him and receive his feedback. My life has been enriched by this friendship which is why I wrote in my book Prescription # 3 “Enrich your life by making friends, sharing interests, learning about others by becoming part of the new group.” Thank you again.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Tony is the best, not only am I lucky enough to be his sister, but he has always been my favorite role model. He takes after our beloved mother with his great personality, easy going nature and yes his mothers laugh and sense of humor. Whenever I get discouraged with life or marriage I tell everyone I know a couple who have it right we could all learn from tony and his wonderful wife Debbie, they have much to teach us all and make the world a better place because of it.
Penny

Post a Comment