Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Running By Feel
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Running By Feel

Last Saturday, February 25th Secretariat and I headed to the Auburn Overlook to participate in a memorial run.  The turnout was good and the participants brought all types of food for afterwards.  There was no official start time, and runners could run as many miles as they wanted.  The suggested course was to run from the Overlook in Auburn and then to Cool, turn around and then return for a total of about 16 miles.  The weather was a little on the chilly side, but who is complaining?
Secretariat and I arrived a little before 8:30 AM and began our run shortly thereafter.  After crossing No Hands Bridge we stopped at the aid station, filled our water bottles, and proceeded towards Cool.  As we approached the infamous”Training Hill”, I raised the question “does it make any sense to climb the hill?” Secretariat got out in front and began the climb and I followed.  Shortly thereafter, three young runners passed me.  That climb was never easy nor was it today.  After reaching the top, Secretariat was there waiting for me.  We then headed in the direction of the fire station In Cool.  Upon reaching the fire station, there we found an aid station posted by Bill Jackson for all the runners.  I referred to Bill as Roger, because Bill is an avid tennis player.   We got supplies and headed back on the trail, this time, avoiding the Training Hill. After leaving the aid station at No hands bridge, we headed in the direction of the Overlook.
I acknowledged my tiredness.  My Achilles was bothering me as well.  We did some walking, and then some running.  I felt better when I was walking.  We talked about the possible explanations as to why we were tired.  The explanations ranged from not drinking beer during the week to lots of previous running miles. In essence, it did not matter as to the “why “when in the present.  Paying attention to your body is what counts.  There was not much motivation to continue running, for me, under these circumstances.  Walking was okay at that point.
I arrived back at the Overlook after Secretariat who already started eating.  I changed out of my wet running jersey into dry clothes, and then had a delicious lunch.  Soon after, we left for home.  That evening, I rested, iced my Achilles, went to bed early and took ibuprofen. The next morning I felt good and was without discomfort.  Sunday, I rested and walked about 2 miles.  I plan to run Monday. I must add that, my next race, the Way Too Cool, 50 K., is just a few weeks away and in my thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment