Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: The Balance Between Training and Listening to Your Body
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Balance Between Training and Listening to Your Body

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it."– William C. Durant

Monday I ran and walked a short 5 mile loop. Basically, I was checking my Achilles for the level of discomfort.  There was minor discomfort, near the beginning, and none during the end of my run.  The rest of the day felt good as far as my Achilles. That was a good sign.

 Tuesday, Secretariat arrived early, and we decided to do a short 5 mile run.  I mentioned, my Achilles and was pleased with doing another short run in order to check my Achilles status. I began our run, in the lead, at a comfortable pace.  Everything was fine.  After a while, Secretariat got the lead and quickened the pace which was good.  Roughly, a half-mile from the finish of our run, he increased speed again “I heard your steps behind me.”  I told him that was a flimsy excuse for him to run faster.  I sped up and kept him within view.  My Achilles did not bother me at all.  I was an extremely pleased.

Secretariat told me about an article that he had read about a study that related to people sitting during their day.  The article suggested that we keep track of the amount of time that we are sitting.  It is believed that we would be surprised at that amount.  We know that for the contemporary person, sitting can be bad for health. A life without exercise can spell disaster.

After our run, I felt energized and terrific.  I know that if I had stayed home, I would not have felt as good. We know that less activity seems to sap our energy with lethargy as a result.

When I was training for my Western States 100 mile endurance run, Steve Elliott told me to stand as much as possible during the day in order to prepare for the length of time that I would be on my feet.  At the time, when he ran that event, he was a mechanic, and worked all day standing. He believed, according to Secretariat, that standing was cross training.

 I know at certain times; I stand as much as possible.  When I park my car, I do not mind parking at a distance. When Linda and I were on our cruise last year, I always walked the stairs and I do mean always. My motto “keep moving” is pertinent and relevant.

 It seems to me that one way to begin or start an activity program is to focus on sitting less.  Consider, keeping a log as to the amount of sitting and evaluate your results. After doing that, make a plan and implement. Consider William C. Durant’s words.     He makes the point “do it. “   I agree, do you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment