Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Overcoming Tragedy
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Overcoming Tragedy

"The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach."– Benjamin Mays

This quote by Benjamin Mays is both central and pertinent of one’s being. The word tragedy refers to and is defined in the American College Dictionary as something dreadful, fatal, and even pathetic.  The word tragedy does not tell the whole story in referring to one’s life.  Having goals is necessary for one’s mental health, and defines who we are as people. A person without goals cannot and does not live as a fully functioning healthy human being.  Freud defined a healthy individual as one who can and does love and work.  Inherent in Freud’s statement, is an individual with a goal. Loving and working does not happen by accident and without effort.
With a goal, an individual has direction and purpose.   When you have a goal, you have to think, plan, research, implement or place effort to accomplish the task. In other words, look at one’s behavior and you will likely figure out that individual’s goal or goals.  Goals should be specific, clear, measurable and reasonable.  The more realistic the goal, the more attainable it is.
An illustration of poorly defined goals is as follows: “I am going to lose weight” and” I am going to run tomorrow.” These statements are neither precise, nor measurable and as a result not defined well.  The goals “I am going to lose 5 pounds in the next 30 days” or “I am going to run for five minutes tomorrow” are clear, specific, measurable, reasonable, attainable and well defined.
For me, I planned to run 20 miles last Sunday.  In order to accomplish that, I selected a 20 mile trail to run.  Monday, I ran a 5 mile loop.  Today, Secretariat and I will hit the trail for our run.  I have five days to run at least 25 miles in order to accomplish my training goal for the week.  My 50 mile goal for this week is a sub goal since my main goal is to run the “Way Too Cool” 50 K. next month.  Notice my goal is specific, clear, measurable, reasonable and attainable.  In other words, my behavior defines who I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment