Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth - Part 9
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Eight (8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth - Part 9

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character."– Theodore Roosevelt
                                        Frank weighing in at Western States


*I called my friend Linda back and told her about the qualifying event that coming November. She told me that she had entered a marathon on that same date as the Helen Klein 50. I told her to cancel her run so we could do the 50 miler. I also mentioned to her that we could do a training run of about 50 K. the following week. After all, a 50 K. is 31 miles and that only leaves us with 19 miles more? It might be clear to many of you, the defense mechanisms that I used at this point. Anyway, I convinced her to do this training run with me and enter that qualifying 50 mile run in November.

To qualify for the Western States 100, I had to complete the 50 miler within 10 hours, and she had only 9 ½ hours, because she was a lot younger and prettier than I. Even if we made the qualifying time, there was no guarantee of getting selected for this Western states 100. 450 runners are selected in a drawing. One gets in, by being chosen in the lottery. Yes, we were in the company of a lot of “crazy” runners wanting to compete in this running madness.

To make a long story short, we both qualified and both were selected to do the run the following June 29, in 2002. Some of you might say it would take a lot of conditioning or training to get ready for that event. Yes, you are right.

So now I have another goal, a direction, meaning, a reason to focus and a training partner. This means I had to learn and research about proper conditioning. I had to prepare to run 100 miles in one day. The run starts at Squaw Valley, the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics, and finishes in Auburn, California. I had to run day and night in temperatures that could range from 40 degrees Fahrenheit to over 100°F .during these 100 miles. Because you are running up and down the Sierra- Nevada Mountains, there was about 18,000 linear feet of gain and about 23,000 linear feet of loss during the hundred miles. In fact, within the first 4 miles there is a 2,550 feet of vertical climb.


To be continued:

0 comments:

Post a Comment