Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Eight(8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth- Part 7
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Eight(8) Principles for Finding the Fountain of Youth- Part 7

     


*The following is a brief description of how I accomplished my running goals. My running improved as I now began to run the hills and my endurance or stamina increased as evidenced by my ability to run longer distances as well. I increased my running mileage, daily, weekly and monthly. I kept a running log and charted my progress. To test my ability, I first entered a half marathon and shortly after a 50 K. trail run. Within a relatively short period of time, I was now able to run or cover the same distance, on the ground, as my horse did, during these ride & tie events. If my horse was able to run 25 or 35 miles during an event, then I wanted to be able to run it as well. Notice, that my concrete goals were measurable and attainable through hard work. And I mean lots of hard work. That meant much perspiring, being hot and tired, being out of breath and at times experiencing a sharp pain in my side. However, I felt good about my running accomplishments-so far so good. My success experiences (achieving running and competitive goals) resulted and facilitated more successful experiences; that also meant I self reinforced positive feelings (intrinsic motivator) associated with all the accomplishments. *Psychological principle or concept # 4- is to seek attainable goals and/or success (completed goals) experiences regardless of age, sex, health etc.
 
Alright, we humans have been hardwired to survive; we had to fight dangerous predators, run after prey, chase them down, and finally capture and kill them. But that was a long time ago. Why would anyone, let alone a mature psychologist, enter events with grueling physical and mental conditions, in the mountains, that cover 100 miles and are expected to be completed in one day? Think about that question and see if you can come up with an answer or explanation as to my motivation?


To be continued


"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."– T.S. Eliot

Part 7

0 comments:

Post a Comment