Subscribe to It Has Nothing to Do with Age by Email Follow Tusk95664 on Twitter It Has Nothing to Do with Age: Ultra Running,Obesity,Alzheimers, and Aging
It Has Nothing To Do With Age provides self-help principles. The inspirational stories give concrete illustrations of overcoming many of life's challenges. Difficulties pertaining to depression, grief, divorce, and death are presented and worked through by the participants. Physical impairments, injuries, overcoming issues with weight, alcohol, and nicotine are also dealt with and resolved by the athletes.

This book provides a model on how to overcome some of the difficulties that confront all of us . Further, this read sheds a beacon of light on preventive measures for good physical and mental health. Research demonstrates that exercise is an important component in treating such ailments and debilitating illness such as depression, stroke, heart disease, brain or cognitive malfunction,and Alzheimer's disease.

I suggest that proper exercise can be used as a preventive measure for psychological, cognitive, and physical health as well. Follow my prescription and lead a better, more fulfilling, and healthier life.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ultra Running,Obesity,Alzheimers, and Aging

Today is a good day. I am feeling recovered from Saturday’s difficult 50 K.  Run in Malibu. In yesterday’s blog, I commented on the lactic acid buildup in my legs. I received an e-mail from Janet from Australian Connection (aussiconn @yahoo.com). Get her equestrian and running catalog. She told me about the product Sports legs for lactic acid. She claims that since using that product the lactic acid build up in her legs lessened. This product can be purchased at the Auburn Running Store. Thank you, Janet for that information.
My recovery after a running event routine is as follows: keep moving and utilize walking, massage the quads, drink lots of water, and use the 4 foot cylinder for quads, hamstrings, calves, and the outer side of quads. I also have gone to the Monster of Massage in Newcastle for relief. I don’t remember if recovery time is slower today than 14 years ago. My guess is that it is. I know that I started running the first Tuesday after Way Too Cool and then left for Mexico on Thursday and ran every day there. When I returned home, I felt tired. Taking a few days off from running is probably the right thing to do. I just have to remember that. One’s thinking can interfere with reality. I have to keep on remembering to listen to my body and if I’m tired to back off. Easier said but it’s the right thing to do. Recovery time is very important. I plan to do more walking and call that recovery time. Another idea is to perform cross training during this time. Now that I have a kayak I can do that and work on my upper body while resting my legs.
The April 25, 2011 issue of Sports Illustrated under the Go Figure section told about Charles Chulada a 59-year-old Florida brick mason. This man played guard at the University of Syracuse from 1969-1973. Last week, he tried out for the CFL’s Saskatchewan Rough riders. Linda’s son Buck who is approaching 50 played linebacker for a few years at San Diego State until his knee injury. Buck eats healthy, works out, and spars with younger fighters. He keeps his body percentage of fat to a minimum. Keep it up Buck.
I mention these individuals as examples of those of us that employ “denial of aging.” We do not want to age and be like our fathers and other unhealthy elders. I’m referring to myself and to Buck. I do not know Charles’ story.  I would hypothesize that he might have a similar story and also   misses important elements from his younger years. He is likely to be in good physical condition and being a brick mason contributes to that. For me, age is a number and is a factor that affects who I am today. I want to continue doing what I’m doing today and do not want that to stop especially for reasons like health and illness. I like being around people with similar mindsets. The athletes that I interviewed in my book fit that same pattern. They don’t want to stop either. Being with Tony, Jonathan, and Penny is very comfortable. Eating healthy, incorporating exercise and finding passion are important variables to success. None of us are overweight. We all are competitive and enjoy what we do. I know they don’t want to stop either.
My mother lived to age 93 and said in her later years “I like to be around younger people”. I think that she was onto something very special. Thank you, Mom for your insight and your gift. Do I appreciate that now?  Developmentally, there are eight psychological stages per Erik Erikson. As a result, people have different psychological issues that result in thinking and action per their particular stage of development. For me, generativity, being healthy, being physical, being competitive, and having passion are important.
 The May 2, 2011 issue of Time under Health and Science said that one key to improve memory and concentration is to lose a few pounds. They quoted a study involving hundred and 50 overweight individuals. In this small population some lost weight as a result of bariatric surgery. This group improved their test scores on recall and attention when tested 12 weeks later. This research add this more evidence to the belief that obesity affects cognitive deficits, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and stroke negatively. These scientists are interested in seeing if cognitive benefits occur in people who shed weight through diet and exercise. I would predict they would. The problem of course is getting obese people to begin diet and exercise.  In other words change one’s lifestyle. Watch my blog and I will write about getting started.

0 comments:

Post a Comment